University for Journalism
(Guardian League Table 2017)
Go behind the headlines and build a career as a journalist in the age of the internet with a Journalism course at the University of Derby.
At the University of Derby, we focus on developing creative, versatile journalists with expertise in a variety of production techniques. You can study a particular journalistic genre such as BA (Hons) Football Journalism, or you can focus on an area you’re interested in, for instance in fashion journalism or music journalism, on the BA (Hons) Journalism degree. You’ll also have the chance to put your theory into practice with exciting journalism work placements in the UK or overseas. We’ve developed our Journalism courses with your future in mind. We’ll equip you to be a multi-skilled multimedia professional who can rise to the challenge.
“It’s the place to come if you want to be at a thriving university - and the city is good fun too”
“The Journalism facilities at the University of Derby are incredible, with industry standard television and radio studios and a newsroom. Staff have come straight out of the media into lecturing roles. They have all been fantastic throughout my Journalism degree and provided me with help and guidance along the way to help me realise my potential.
“One of the most rewarding things about the Journalism course is that you make something and have an end product at the end of your work to showcase to everyone. Whether that’s a feature for a newspaper, a radio documentary or a television news story, the end product is really satisfying.
“I really enjoyed my time at the University of Derby and I made the most out of it. It’s the place to come if you want to be at a thriving university - and the city is good fun too.”
This is Journalism
- Learn in our fantastic Journalism facilities including three radio studios, a fully equipped television studio, video editing suites, Mac suites and a newsroom featuring the latest software
- Gain substantial practical journalism experience of researching and producing powerful print, radio, TV and online stories on internships and projects with media organisations in the UK or overseas
- You’ll be taught by our experienced Journalism team which includes journalists broadcasters, historians and political commentators
- You’ll take part in study trips to newsrooms, radio and TV studios and hear from experts from the sector who visit us at the University of Derby, from vloggers to editors of national newspapers.
What our Journalism graduates do
Our journalism degrees are cutting edge and will give you the skills that you need to succeed in an exciting career.
Career opportunities open to graduates include:
- Commercial & Community radio
- Commercial TV
- Corporate communication.
Find out if studying at Derby is right for you at one of our Open Days: