Motorsport Engineering courses
rating for Teaching
BEng (Hons) Motorsport Engineering (National Student Survey 2016)
Fast-paced and hands-on, our motorsport courses will put you on the right track for a successful career in this exciting industry.
Donington Park race track, the original home of British motorsport, is nearby and many of our previous graduates have gone on to work with national and international racing teams. Some have raced all over the world.
You’ll study the theory of motorsport engineering as well as having practical sessions in the workshops. Outside organisations set real-life projects that you’ll work on. You’ll also have the opportunity to take part in regional, national and international competitions.
Our Motorsport team have just launched their new website. Check it out here: www.teamderbymotorsport.co.uk
Lecturers have extensive experience in the industry
“The course provides a good variety of modules, which are all taught in-depth and hands-on. Lecturers have extensive experience in the industry and always have time for students who want to learn further or talk through ideas. I am on a placement now and I’m enjoying the work and accompanying challenges. There have been many occasions where knowledge I’ve used in the workplace have come directly from lectures and research at the University.”
This is Motorsport Engineering
- Get hands-on experience in our well-equipped workshops which have a rolling road and digital diagnostic and set-up equipment.
- You’ll work on real life projects set for you by outside organisations - recent examples include a redesigned Toyota Avensis for Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service.
- Join together with your fellow students to pit your wits against others in regional, national and international competitions, such as Formula Student where you’ll design, build and compete with a single-seat racing car.
- Become one of the elite of the engineering profession – a Chartered Engineer (CEng). BEng (Hons) Motorsport Engineering and BEng (Hons) Motorsport and Motorcycle Manufacturing Engineering are accredited by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE) on behalf of the Engineering Council for the purposes of partially meeting the academic requirement for registration as a Chartered Engineer.
What our Motorsport Engineering graduates do
Previous Derby graduates have gone on to race all over the world and work with international race teams in F1, FIA-GT and GP2.
Career opportunities open to graduates include:
- Data Technician
- Chassis Design Engineer
- Design Engineer
- Design Development Engineer
- Mechanical Engineer
- Crew Chief
Employers our graduates have go on to work for include:
- Aston Martin
- EPM Technologies
- Dunlop Motorsport
- Jaguar Land Rover
- Triumph Motorcycles
You could also go on to study our MSc Motorsport Engineering postgraduate degree.
Find out if studying at Derby is right for you at one of our Open Days: